Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I got my foot pierced!

So this may come as a shock, but I have a life metaphor for you. I know, I know. It is so unlike me to come up with one... :)
Yesterday was an... interesting day for me.
I still had that yucky cold, I had an upset stomach, and a headache. So I ended up staying home from work. I figured it would be counter productive. Kari was so nice to take care of a replacement for me.

Oh yeah. And remember, I had to go get shots in my foot.

I laid in bed all day and was feeling a little better right in time to go get my foot pierced. We looked at my MRI pictures. Wow. They didn't look anything like a foot to me, but what do I know? Haha I guess this is why people go to school for a billion years to be doctors.

Pause. Remember how I don't do well with needles? At all?

Resume. She told me all about what she was going to do. Pierce my foot to numb it. Pierce my foot to put some shots in it. Just talking about it made me feel light headed. In fact, it's a good thing I am sitting down right now! Haha
Since I have this needle problem, I got to lay down. She brought other people in the room to watch... That was weird. So one lady told me I needed to remember to breathe. (Thanks, I didn't know that one. Haha ;) and one guy sprayed my foot with... liquid nitrogen!
Ok. Maybe not. But it was so cold that it burned. Then she pierced my foot for the first time.
I knew it would hurt. But wow. I was unprepared. My mom says she couldn't see well enough, but it felt like she stuck that thing completely through the top of my foot and out the bottom! Yeow!
She did this a few times then we settled in to wait for it to take effect.
Unfortunately I became nauseous, but didn't throw up. And I was on the brink of passing out... for about 30 minutes. But I didn't.
But don't worry. They brought smelling salts just in case.
All I could think of was Pride and Prejudice. "Oh! Oh, Jane! Fetch my smelling salts! I feel my faintness coming upon me! (smells them and starts crying)" Oh. Mrs. Bennett. I was busting up laughing inside my head. Good thing I didn't laugh out loud. I wouldn't want them to think I was crazy or anything...
The bad thing at this point was that I could still feel part of my foot. More shots. Yay.
At this point, I just told her she should stop telling me what she was doing so I could stop thinking about it and stay conscious. She is a smart lady, so she did. :)
So I assume she pierced my foot again. Then she cleaned it up for me.
Fifteen minutes and a juice box later, I was still super pale and dizzy. Wheelchair time. Woot.

And I thought my foot was swollen before!


Got ya! This has bandages on it. It isn't THAT swollen.

I was a pale vegetable the rest of the night. What a wimp, right? (But it didn't help that I was already sick before I got pierced.)

Here it is this morning. In all its gory. (Hehe. Gory.)


Oh yeah. And I am back in the boot for a couple of days. I looked up if driving with your left foot is legal. It is. :)



Ready for the life metaphor? (Give me a break, I didn't get much sleep last night.)

I find it completely ironic that the place that hurts the most is the place you have to poke, twist in weird positions, put painfully cold things on, and stick needles and knives into.
But so it is with our lives. We all have talents, gifts, and strengths. And we all have flaws, hurts, and weaknesses.
But fortunately for us we have the best Doctor that we could ever hope for. Although we live in a world with amazing medical discoveries and technology, our remedies pale in comparison to His.
The Refiner's Fire may be as bad as getting shots when you are already sick and don't do well with needles, and it is most likely going to be a whole lot worse. But it will, without a doubt, be worth it. We may be looking at the 'treatment' we are getting and be thinking... Uhh are you sure about this one??
Luckily for us, our 'Doctor,' our Savior, does not work on a trial and error basis. He has a flawless plan for our flawed life. He knows exactly what we need. He has walked miles in our bruised soles.


(P.S. This is one of my favorite pictures from La Push this summer.)

I am extremely grateful to live today where we have the luxury of great and knowledgeable doctors. I am also grateful that my ailments are small. I am so so so grateful that I have such a wonderful mom to take care of me. I truly am very blessed. :)
Thank you for being tender mercies and extra raisins in my life. Life would be a little less bright without you guys to brighten it. :)

Much Love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment