My high school graduation ceremony was completely wasted on me. High school was just not my favorite thing in the world to begin with. The salutatorian gave a speech that was quite 'way of the world-y' but there were a few good points in with all of the mush. His speech was all about 'being fluid.' He took it a little to the extreme, but mellowed out, this is a great concept. Being able to accept and embrace challenges and change that comes our way.
Today at devotional, Sister Nyland explained that while planning is important, you have to leave room for serendipity. I loved that she said this for two main reasons. I love the word serendipity (hehe) and I do not like to plan out my day. Sometimes life doesn't go as planned. Actually.... Most of the time life doesn't go as planned. But God's plan is always, always, always better! If only we were better at accepting it and following it with more grace.
Sometimes, for instance your goal at the beginning of the semester is to Be kissed in the rain.... By the middle of the semester, the goal has been shifted to Be kissed period! (Just kidding. But seriously. ... I'll just let you guys take that one however you choose. I hope the mystery doesn't keep you up too late at night. Bahaha. :)
Planning ahead and having goals is an excellent thing, but sometimes we (or at least I) get so caught up with things that we (I) want to do, that we (I) forget to live in the present, too. Remember that great quote "Make/Find joy in the journey." ? I'd like to try to remember to live in the present, too.
Spencer W. Kimball taught that one of the greatest mistakes we can ever make in our daily lives is not to remember. Just try reading Helaman 5 and count every time the word remember is mentioned. If only we could always see life through the eyes of remember.
I may not always remember, but for right now, this one post, I remember. I remember that I am such an imperfect person (and so is everyone else that I encounter on a daily basis, so I should really give people a break or simply the benefit of the doubt). I remember that every little trial will seem so small in a few days or weeks. I remember that God has the best plan ever planned out for me! I remember that without Him, I am nothing. I remember that I am so so so blessed with so many extra raisins that I don't even realize. I remember that I am loved.
I also remember that these things are true for every person who will ever read this. :)
I love all of you so much! Sorry about the whole super churchy blog. I go to BYU-Idaho, it's bound to happen. :)
Don't forget to remember.
Much Love!!
Michelle! You are wonderful and amazing! I'm glad that you are learning so much. This is an amazing time of life for you. President Kimball is one of my favorites. He was the prophet when I was in college. You should read his books, there are so many wonderful quotes! Have a wonderful day!
ReplyDelete