Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It's the Climb

It's that time of.... blog. The wonderful time that I bring up one of my oh-so-obscure (Not really) metaphors for life.

This epiphany of wonder is brought to you by the walk up my steep driveway with my 2 bosom/ arm friends, my crutches.

I've been spending a lot of time on crutches. I work full-time on crutches. And yes, I walk up steep driveways on crutches. One of the things I completely took for granted before this adventure was the ability to carry things and walk at the same time.

BUT through this trial, this test of physical hardship, I have learned a lot. I have had to change the way I see things and be able to think outside the box. I can carry very thin things in between my fingers and still crutch it. I can even carry a half-filled (never half-empty) glass of milk by pinching the lip in between my index and middle finger! I can open doors if no one is around. (Although I am learning that sometimes the best choice is simply to ask for help. Haha)

AND most impressively... I can elevate and make my lunch at the SAME TIME! Don't try this at home.



Plus. My arms are getting really toned and beefy. Before you know it, they are going to ask me to be the governator of California. (Too bad I'll have to turn them down because I am pretty sure the Lord has better plans for me. Ones especially uninvolved with politics. Yuck.)

So the metaphor. Life is an uphill battle. It only makes sense because that's where we want to go. UP. And sometimes life is an uphill battle on crutches and it's winter so you constantly have to dodge ice patches. (Not that I know from experience or anything... )

BUT lucky for us, these crutches were put here to strengthen us. Our arms grow larger and more capable by the day. Our minds are stretched as we search for better and more efficient ways to do things. We also learn that it's ok to ask for help. We learn and grow with every passing moment. And if we do it right, we also grow closer to our Savior which makes us 1000000 times stronger than we could be on our own.

Nifty, eh?

In the words of a pop star that I certainly DO NOT resemble, "Ain't about how fast I get there, ain't about what's waiting on the other side, it's the climb.

Not gonna lie, this song is inspired.

"I can do hard things." And guess what, if I can, so can you. To quote my wonderful Quinci, "I think Heavenly Father has big plans for us."

The sweet kids that I work with make it much easier to go to work every day. :) A cute kindie made this turkey for me today. :) Skilled, I know.




I always love it when they ask, "How do you spell your name?" And then expect you to be surprised when they bring you a card. Haha These kids are truly a blessing and an example to me.

P.S. Did you know that Elvis had side bangs? Because I didn't.

I am ever grateful to my family for helping me so much and praying for me, for crying when I cry and finding ways to make me laugh every day. Keep on keepin' on. :)

Much Love!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! Great attitude too. I didn't know that fingers had lips. You learn something everyday! Just for the record, Elivs also had mutton chops for a while. They are those really fat, long sideburns, Ewwww.... love you!!!

    ReplyDelete